Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Power of Prayer

Ephesians 6: 11 -12 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Sometimes I think we get so caught up in praying for just material things and forget to pray for continued protection for ourselves and others. Each morning and through out the day, I am constantly praying and pleading the blood of Jesus over myself, my daughters, and for others. Each day the devil is plotting on how he can stop us from fulfilling our purpose and if we are not prayed up, we are walking around blind.

This weekend I was reminded again how important it is to plead the blood of Jesus over our lives for protection. I will get to that reminder after I start from the beginning of how the power of prayer has been passed on from my mother to me.

Now that I have my own daughters I now know that it is because of my mom’s and my grandmother’s prayers that I am still here today. I love giving examples in my blog because this is my spiritual walk and I want to share with you my journey.

As a teenager I was a wild flower; I was always into something. Streets should have been my middle name. I remember one particular night like yesterday. I was about seven months pregnant and there was a group of us on our way to the club. We were all piled up in a cab and I tell you there were at least ten of us; I still don’t know how we all got in that cab. The cab driver was so scared he didn’t have any choice but to take us where we needed to go. As we’re riding a car speeding beside us gets in front of us and the next thing I know there’s a another car behind us shooting at the car in front of us. We were caught in the middle of gunfire! We were only about two blocks away from the club. As the car sped past us to catch up to the car in front of us, we all franticly told the cabby to pull over. We got to the club and started inspecting the car; there were two bullet holes near the gas tank! The angels were with us that night and that’s because my mom was probably home praying for me, as she always did when I had my butt in the streets all hours of the night. This is just one instance I am recalling. I can go on for hours; I have plenty of stories of God’s protection being over me. Maybe now you can understand why I say I am God’s favorite :)

I began recognizing the power of prayer when my oldest was about eight. I had just dropped my daughters off at the daycare and she was so excited because they were going on a swimming trip that day. After leaving my girls, I started feeling really sad all of a sudden and felt like I should turn around and go get my daughter. I didn’t follow my gut to turn back around and get my oldest from daycare, but God put it on my heart to begin praying. I began to pray in tongues, the prayer was just flowing. I didn’t know why I was praying, but I knew I needed to pray for my oldest daughter. After praying, a peace washed over me. A few hours later while at work, I get a call that I need to get to the emergency room ASAP, my oldest was in an accident. When I get to the emergency room I see my daughter’s eye and I wanted to freak. Just above her eye it had been split open and you could see her bone. The doctor came and told me that she was the best in the state of VA. She said that my daughter was lucky because she could have lost her eye. The doctor told me she would stitch her up nicely and that when it healed you would not be able to tell where she had the accident. Today when you look at my daughter you can’t tell that she almost lost her eye. God protected my baby and he touched that doctor’s hands. From that day forward if I don’t pray for anything else I am always asking and thanking God for his protection. My girls will sometimes be asleep and they will feel me anointing them with oil as I plead the blood Jesus over them. 13 years later, and I am still anointing their heads. They are never too old for protection

This weekend my youngest went to visit a friend. I am not one to discriminate based on where a person lives, however the friend she was visiting lives in a very rough area. That day I was lying around trying to read the Bible, but I couldn’t quite focus on the Word so I began to pray. That night I went for a walk and again I prayed, but this time I prayed for protection over myself and my girls. When I got in the house, I text my youngest to make sure she was okay and I began to get ready for bed. Two hours later about 11pm, I get a call and it’s my youngest screaming about girls jumping her and that I needed to come get her. The call ended and I tried to get back in touch with her. My heart dropped because I could not get through on the phone. One of the friends she was with, her mother and I are friends so I called her and couldn’t get her. I’m shaking, I began to do what I knew how to do I began to pray. The girl’s mother calls me and she is 5 minutes away from my house. I finally get another call from my youngest. I’m going to spare the details and get to the gist. My youngest was trying to help a friend from getting jumped by so many girls, and in turn she was jumped by five girls. Four of them held her down while another one repeatedly stomped her in her face. Some adults had finally broken up the assault and had my daughter and her friend wait for us in the rec room. As we’re driving, I take notice of where we are and asked my friend if these were LA projects and she said, “No, we’re in the area they call ‘The Jungle.’” An area in LA known as gang banger territory. We get to the recreational center and my daughter’s face is swollen. I began to thank God because it could’ve been so much worst. I prayed for healing over my daughters face. The next morning, the swelling was just about down and the redness and scrapes were diminishing. Two days later, there is no swelling and the scrapes are nearly healed. What the devil meant for harm to my daughter only made her stronger and that more determined to fulfill what God has put in her to do. So, the next time you’re praying for that car, house, or financial increases don’t forget to pray for protection because you don’t know what lies ahead in your day.

© Copyright 2010 – All Rights Reserved


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Bill for visiting. I read your blog on Pleading the Blood of Jesus. Your blog is so on point. I look forward to reading the rest of your blogs.

Free Hit Counter